Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Trip Planning - Maps

Thought I'd post a bit on how I do the trip planning.

I use a few online tools like.
Google Earth
Google Maps
Whereis
BP has a good site for planning fuel stops. (Handy 'cause I have a BP fuel card)

I also use a spreadsheet I created in Google Docs - With this I calculate travel times and fuel usage (using kph and l/100k estimates based on known driving conditions and experience using the truck)

Then I plan the trip in more detail using OziExplorer setting up routes etc.. This can loaded on the Car PC and/or Windows Mobile Smart phones.

As an aside - Google Earth is great for creating maps in OziExplorer because GE has gps co-ordinates in the application.

Here is the Google map of the trip:

View Cape York Trip in a larger map

No comments: